Orange County Asset Division and Marital Property Attorneys
Community property division is not as easy as you may think
In community property states like California, each party in a divorce is entitled to one-half of all property and assets acquired during a marriage, with the exception of inheritances or gifts.
While this sounds simple, it can lead to long, drawn-out disputes and conflict. It can bring out the worst in the parties; hiding assets from the other spouse can be an issue, especially in situations where one spouse controlled the assets during marriage or there is a closely held business. The parties frequently dispute the value of an asset or the other person’s separate contribution to the marital estate. On top of conflicts like these, there are the basic fears: Will you get your fair share? Will you receive enough of the assets so you can have a decent place to live? Will you have to sell property in order to divide it equally?
Knowledgeable, experienced experts in property division matters
Hammers & Baltazar Family Law is experienced and skilled in protecting and ensuring your asset rights during divorce. We have the experience and expertise to make sure that your property is divided correctly. We have access to experts and specialists to ensure that all assets are valued properly and on the table and that your spouse is not hiding anything that is subject to division by community property laws.
Questions about property division? We can help
Our law firm can help answer important questions such as:
- What is the value of a business?
- Does a home or other asset owned by one of the parties prior to the marriage belong to the community estate?
- How much has an asset appreciated or depreciated during the course of the marriage or since separation?
- Do 401(k) and other retirement accounts of a single individual belong to that individual or to the couple?
- Did one spouse contribute significantly to the education of the other spouse or support the other spouse while he or she was in school?
- Does an asset which either spouse inherits during the marriage or since separation or receives as a gift from a family member belong to both?
- How does the refinancing or the signing of a quit claim deed affect each spouse’s right to real property?
We use the answers to questions such as these to develop a case strategy that results in persuasive arguments about property division. We develop clear arguments to persuade the court to divide property to your advantage.
What you can expect
When you work with Hammers & Baltazar Family Law on your property and asset division you can expect that you will receive a comprehensive analysis of your assets and expert advice so you are assured of receiving your proper share.
If you have questions regarding the division of marital property and other assets in a divorce, call us for knowledgeable and experienced answers. Our Santa Monica office is conveniently located at Ocean Park and 28th Street. Our Newport Beach office is located near Newport Bay and the Pacific Coast Highway To contact us, call our Santa Monica office at 310-458-0796 or our Newport Beach office at 949-631-2805. We accept most major credit cards.